Reading Time: 5 minutesWyze cams are inexpensive yet powerful security cameras with quality that can rival high-end smart security cameras. In addition, they can record HD videos that are accessible remotely, with an option for continuous recording.
Accidentally losing important videos from your Wyze cam can be critical. This is especially true if you use them to monitor your home or even as evidence for court if an incident occurs.
Fortunately, we have some solutions that you can try to recover data from Wyze camera.
Where are Wyze Videos Stored?
To get started in attempting to recover your Wyze deleted events, you have to determine where your videos are stored.
There are two kinds of storage that Wyze cameras use to save videos:
- a microSD card
- cloud service
By default, Wyze cams come with a 14-day free Wyze cloud storage. You can also insert up to a 128GB microSD card into your camera to expand its storage and enable continuous recording. The card needs to be formatted in FAT32 and exFAT file systems to be compatible with the camera.
All Wyze videos and photos, whether stored in the cloud or a memory card, are saved in standard MP4 format for videos and PNG or JPG for photo snapshots.
These file formats are more standardized than others, allowing easier streaming of the camera’s live feed even when you’re not home. They are also compact, so you wouldn’t have to worry about filling up your storage easily even if you only use microSD cards for Wyze camera.
If you are using microSD cards to film continuously, just remember that Wyze cam will automatically overwrite the oldest files with new footage once your memory card fills its storage. Once overwritten, it significantly decreases the chance of successful video recovery if your SD card gets corrupted.
How to Recover Data from Wyze Camera
The easiest scenario to recover files is when you’re storing your videos using a memory card. In this case, you can simply remove your microSD card from your camera and connect it to your Windows PC. Then, you can use a third-party data recovery software such as Disk Drill to start data recovery.
With Disk Drill, you can easily recover your files recorded in MP4 and photos, such as PNG and JPG, among many other detectable and recoverable file formats. You can use its free trial and recover up to 500MB worth of files for Windows.
To recover files using Disk Drill, simply follow this step-by-step guide below:
- First, download Disk Drill from the Cleverfiles official website.
- Next, launch the Disk Drill installer. Click the Install button afterward.
- Launch the Disk Drill app after finishing the installation. In the initial screen, you will see the list of devices you can scan. Choose your Wyze camera microSD card. Then, click the Search for Lost Data button to start scanning the device.
- This will trigger the scan for your memory card. To preview the files Disk Drill has scanned, click the Review found items button. You can do this while the scan is in progress or after it finishes.
- Choose the files you wish to recover on the results page by ticking the checkbox beside the file names. After selecting the files you want to recover, click Recover on the bottom part of the scan results page.
- Upon clicking, the Recover lost data popup window will appear. This allows you to select the destination where Disk Drill will save your recovered files. After that, choose your desired file location. Then, click OK to begin the recovery process.
- Finally, Disk Drill will redirect you to their final window once the recovery finishes. This page shows you the recovery status. You can choose the Show recovered data in Explorer button to open the folder containing your recovered files.
Wyze cameras are a practical choice for most people for their impressively cheaper price while still offering good quality and robust features. However, it’s still vulnerable to data loss due to accidental deletion, among other reasons.
Data recovery methods for Wyze cameras vary depending on the kind of storage of your camera. If you have cloud storage, you can make a request to check for backups you can restore. But for memory cards, it is better to try third-party data recovery programs like Disk Drill to get back your deleted photos and videos. It is reliable and easy to use, so you can easily undelete your Wyze cam photos and videos.